Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Reverse Applique Pillow Tutorial

This summer, my sewing goal is to make 6 pillows for my bed in my new apartment and maybe a couple for the couch. Yesterday, I completed pillow #1! Yay!!! I went to √Hancock Fabrics in Paducah, Kentucky at the beginning of the summer and bought the fabrics I wanted to use for my pillows.  

I have never made a pillow before and was a little nervous to start out which is probably why I have waited so long to make the first.  However, as I created this pillow I created a tutorial to share with you so that you can create your very own. Don't be intimidated, it is not hard.  :)



Materials Needed:

  • Main Fabric ( I used 1/2 yard of Michael Miller Mini Mike Dot n Square)
    • Front Fabric
      • Enough material to cover your pillow form and add 1" to your length and 1" to your width (mine was 12"x16" so I cut my front fabric to be 13"x17")
    • Back Fabric
      • You will need two pieces for the back, since we are making an envelope style pillow
        • TOP Back Fabric: 13"x 12"
        • BOTTOM Back Fabric: 13"x12"
  • Enough piping or fringe or whatever else you want around the edge of your pillow
  • Applique
  • Matching or contrasting thread and bobbin
  • Sewing machine (I love my Brother LB-6800PRW!)
  • Rotary Cutter
  • Scissors
  • Cutting mat
  • Exacto knife
  • Fray Check
  • Iron and Ironing board
  • Pins
**You may or may not actually use all of the supplies above based on your preferences**


Now, let's get down to business...

  1. Press your fabrics
  2. Cut your fabrics to match the dimensions listed above
  3. Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the applique fabric following instructions that were with the interfacing
  4. Use the freezer paper to draw or trace your design for the applique 
  5. Use the exacto knife to cut out the design
  6. Iron the main piece of freezer paper to your Front Fabric with the waxy/shiny side against the right side of your fabric so that your fabric shows through the cutout how your want it on your pillow
  7. Use the exacto knife to cut out the piece of fabric showing through the cutout in the freezer paper (you could save this and use it on another project if you take your time and cut it perfectly)
  8. Fray check the edges of the cutout on the Front Fabric
  9. Pin the applique fabric to the back of the Front Fabric with the applique showing through the cutout Front Fabric as you want it to look once finished
  10. Sew around the edges of your cutout to hold the applique in place (I used 1/8")
  11. Trim the extra fabric with interfacing if you would like to (good for thin fabric so it doesn't show as much)
  12. Iron finished Front Fabric  
  13. Layout your 3 pieces of fabric
  14. On the 2 Back Fabric pieces, fold the 12" edge down 1" and iron, then sew along bottom of fold
  15. Layout the 3 pieces of fabric wrongside up
  16. Now, you want to overlap the 2 Back Fabric pieces so that once overlapped, combined the length is the same as the Front Fabric
  17. Pin the piping or whatever you chose to the right side of the Front Fabric
  18. Pin the Front Fabric and Back Fabric right sides together
  19. Sew around your pillowcase **make sure you sew on the side of the piping that is closest to the unfinished edge so that it will show once complete**
  20. Turn your pillowcase right side out 
  21. At this point, I made the bows and stitched the tail on the kite then sewed on the bows
  22. Insert pillow form
  23. ENJOY!!!!!!











I would LOVE to see your pillow if you make one! Please comment if you may use this tutorial.
Thanks!
XOXO
ashli brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment